Monday, June 8, 2009

Fritz the Fighter

Last week we had to take Fritz to the vet because he had an abscess on his cheek. He had a fever and was not a happy camper - especially when we got to the vet's office. He was growling (I think he remembers his last visit) and wouldn't get out of his carrier. They had to put him under to lance the abscess and keep him overnight! I was a wreck but I held it together until after I picked him up the next morning. Then I threw up, had a good cry, and realized that I am going to be a basket case of a mother someday. It didn't help that he looked like a cat from pet cemetery with half of his face shaved and bloodied.
He is doing much better now - the wounds are almost healed and he is on his last few days of antibiotics. He has been pretty annoyed that he can't go outside but the last few days he seems to have accepted the fact and so he mopes around depressed. Do they make cat Prozac?
We are hesitant to let him go back outside because the vet said that a bite on the face shows that he is very aggressive and isn't backing down. Maybe he will be aggressive enough to bully the other cats in the neighborhood for their lunch money to pay off his vet bill!

4 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

My poor baby Fritters!!! At least he is on the mend and not a pile of Coyote poop out in the field like my Zoe! There's always the bright side to things now isn't there ...

Sycamore Girl said...

Pets are darn expensive. You should look into pet health insurance- they really do have it! Especially if your bully of a cat is going to keep picking fights! :) Maybe you should also look into a pet psychologist...maybe they could tell you what you are doing that is driving your cat to be so aggressive!
Whether its with cats or kids, its always going to be the parents fault, right?!

Hey, that Birth Documentary Film Festival has been postponed due to lack of interest. If you are still interested in going, let me know and I'll pass any info on to you when I know more.

Audy & Ash said...

Poor Fritz... My cat got into a fight and she won't go outside anymore unless someone goes with her.. glad to hear he is doing better!!

Brad and Rebecca said...

wow that looks so sad!!! It's rough being parents!