Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I think every dish in my house was dirty.




We celebrated Thanksgiving this year at our house with my grandparents from Kamas, my Aunt Koreen and Uncle Kim from California, my Aunt Kristy who lives in Salt Lake, and lots and lots of cousins.













This was my FIRST time cooking a turkey! 
We got it from the Wight Family Fresh Turkey Farm in West Haven.
No hormones, no additives, never been frozen, 
allowed to roam free, happy turkeys.

(Mabel is digging for some serious gold in the backgound)

Prior to cooking the turkey Nate put on a latex glove and got out the neck (so gross and sad to think about...yes, I have meat issues.) and he couldn't find the bag with the other stuff.
We just assumed they didn't give it to us.
Fine with me!

So the turkey has been cooking for about an hour and a half when I heard my grandmother and my cousin's girlfriend in the living room laughing about a Thanksgiving commercial they saw where the girl cooks the turkey with the bag of giblets still inside it.  
Uh-oh. 
I confessed right then that I thought I might be cooking my turkey like the girl in the commercial!
I told them we took out the neck but couldn't find any of the other stuff.
I took out the turkey and my grandma lifted up the skin towards the front and lo and behold there was a bulging bag of grossness!  She pulled it out (thanks Grandma!) and man I wish I had a picture of my face at that moment.
 How was I supposed to know there is a secret neck flap where they put the bag of organs?
Needless to say this didn't help my meat eating situation.  
I tried a few bites but was very content with all the other dishes.

 Moving on.

Everyone decorates for Thanksgiving with pool balls right?


Done to Perfection!
thankyouverymuch.
 We had a faulty pop up timer so we tested it 
with our meat thermometer and it was just right.
Plus, read here about pop up timers drying out your bird.
Maybe that is why our turkey was so moist!

Peeps patiently waiting. 
(and napping)

Getting ready to stuff our faces.

All my serving spoons were being used, 
hence the lovely measuring cup.
Grandpa didn't mind.

Full and exhausted.
Nate got right up and started doing dishes...
he is a good soul.


I am so thankful for the chance I get to spend every holiday with wonderful family and friends.
We always have an abundance of food and good conversation.
I truly have a lot to be grateful for.

A few days later we feasted again at my in-laws house.  

Sitting with Great Grandma Gayle:


 Eating. Again!




 We also celebrated November birthdays: 
Our niece Brenna

  and Nate.
 Happy 31st birthday babe!

6 comments:

Audy & Ash said...

Wow Jessica! Everything looked so beautiful and perfect! Good job!

Lindsey said...

Love the pics! I didn't take any, so I'm glad you did. Your turkey looks perfect and I always love a good first-time-cooking-a-turkey story!

The Naylor Family said...

Great pictures and post ... only thing missing is US from Colorado. Blast Jacob's job that kept us from coming!!! Everything looked so good. Everything looks like it turned out perfect!

Allison said...

Ok, I was laughing so hard when I read the part about the giblets because I did pretty much the same thing! This was also my first year making a turkey. I got out the neck, but couldn't find the giblets, so I called it good and put it in the fridge to brine for 24 hours. Luckily Ben's mom was here and found them before we baked the turkey :) Good times!

Looks like your Thanksgiving was so fun, good job on everything!

OLIVERSONFAM said...

You look like Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart with your bead necklace on and a golden turkey in hand!
WAY TO GO!!
and HAPPY {B} DAY NATE!!

The Dabo's said...

I love how you referred the turkey as a happy turkey. It's dead! Congrats on pulling it off, I too have never had Thanksgiving here and I'm good not to for a long while.