Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Viva Las Vegas!

When my cousin Meagan (who lives in Washington) announced that she was getting married in Las Vegas we were excited to join my family, and my extended family for the wedding at the Juno Garden in Caesar's Palace.  We decided to make a vacation out of it and stay in Vegas for a few days and then drive on to California for a week.

Yes, I said drive. 
With our two year old Mabel whose relationship 
with her car seat is like nails on a chalkboard.

Luckily our neighbors let us borrow their headrest DVD player which was our saving grace.
She was already sick of the car when we pulled out of our driveway so we popped in the first DVD and
she was clapping and saying, "YAY!"
We are going to have to purchase one of these babies.
(there is no such thing as too much screen time on a road trip right?)


We met up with my mom, Kraig, and Jacob in Beaver, Utah.
The minute Mabel saw my mom out the window she got the biggest smile
on her face and starting screaming NANA!!! 

I was majorly prepared for this road trip.
I had treasures, toys, stickers, stamps, whistles (not my best idea), 
treats, and snacks for this girl.
She actually did a lot better than I thought she would and loved all the new stuff
I would pull out of my surprise bag.
We talked a lot about how we had to drive for a looooooong time
and even though she DID NOT FALL ASLEEP at all (EVER) we survived.
I think she yawned a few times but would never shut her eyes.
And we calculated we were in the car for about 25 hours over the course of the whole trip.
This kid is stubborn. 
Just like her mom.
There was one casualty however, I got a kink in my neck that ran down my 
shoulder blade from turning around every five seconds.  
Next time I will just sit in the back with her.


We made it!

Welcome to 100 degree heat...
and that was at about 8pm.

Our condo was perfect...Mabel had her own nook in the closet of our room
and we could see one of the big pools from our balcony. 

Mabel promptly made herself at home by jumping on all the beds.
A little bit happy to be out of the car I would say!


On our way to the wedding the next day we walked through Ceasar's Palace.
Mabel was slightly obsessed with the statues.
This one really concerned her.
She kept saying, "POKE! Elbow." 
Kinda looks like the trident is poking the guys elbow right?
 

THEN she saw David.
First words out of her mouth, "Mama, bum! BiiiiiiiiG bum!"
Except she says bib instead of big.
She talked about it for days.
We were just happy she was fixated on his bum
and not his front.
 


A little pre wedding grape snack:



My nana and her husband Arnold.

My mom and her sisters. 
Aunt Cyndi on the right is the oldest, then my mom,
then my Aunt Cathy.


Introducing:
Mr. and Mrs. Goff
Meagan was such a beautiful bride!


Meg with 6 out of 9 cousins:


I love these peeps.

Me and my Nana.
Also known as MOTU.
Matriarch of the Universe. :)


Our A/C couldn't barely keep up with the heat...
slow cooking in our car on the way to the luncheon.
115!

Casa di Amore


These two were inseparable.
There should be a law against living far away from family.

Such polite bite givers....
no cake on the face for these two.


Yes, using the teeth!

Mabel LOVED my cousin Eric's girlfriend.
She kept asking for "Ebee" later that night. :)

After the luncheon there was only one thing to do 
to escape the blistering heat:
SWIM


Lazy River


Later that night my mom and Kraig stayed with Mabel while
Nate, Jacob, and I went out on the town.
We met up with my cousins for dinner 
and it was so great chatting and catching up. 
I didn't get a picture at dinner so this one will have to do.

It was Jacob's first time on the strip and it was CRAY CRAY.
So many people, soooo hot, so loud, so bright, so shiny,
and lots of people in odd costumes.
There was a line of people in costumes, just standing there,
with a tip jar in front of each one. Is that new in Vegas?
I did get a picture with Elmo for Mabel.


We watched the Bellagio fountain show.

Next up: CALIFORNIA

5 comments:

Little Beachs said...

Her face in that picture is awesome!
You sound like you loved the heat!

P.s your dress at the wedding is adorable!

The Naylor Family said...

Great post! The whole trip seems like it was 6 months ago already : ( It was so much fun ... my pictures are ready to post but just haven't got around to it and I don't even have a TWO YEAR OLD! You rock! Can I just copy yours?

OLIVERSONFAM said...

I LOVE that Miss Mabel! So glad she SURVIVED the car....or should I say YOU survived the car! You should have posted the SCREAMING video!....maybe that is in the Cali post!
Anyhow, looks like a you all had an AWESOME time in SIN CITY!
You looked HOT at the Wedding...and not temperature Hot either!

Sarah M said...

I agree about you being a hottie. Also, does Mabel know how to swim? Forgive my ignorance of how soon is too soon to teach a kid to swim...just curious.

The Dabo's said...

ALL the giggles we heard passing by David. Including me of course...