Not doing very well...
All his favorite spots vomit proofed...

Last Tuesday morning Nate took Charlie to the Cottonwood Pet Hospital because he hadn't been eating or drinking for the past two days, he was acting super tired, and he threw up 5 times Monday night. After a blood test, x-ray, and ultrasound (and as Nate and I kissed our tax return goodbye) the vet determined he had an inflamed bile duct caused by gall bladder issues and an infection that was affecting his liver. They aren't sure if he just got a virus or if he licked antifreeze or some
other poison outside.
Because he had a fever and was dehydrated they kept him overnight to get an IV going and to monitor him. We were able to pick him up Wednesday night and I knew we still had a long road ahead of us when he still wouldn't eat on his own and would throw up every time we gave him his antibiotic. Not to mention that Fritz was totally freaked out by the way Charlie smelled and he would hiss and growl at him. The next two days were a blur of force feeding every two hours, cleaning up barf (after a week with a sick cat I have cleaned up enough cat vomit to last a lifetime) having to take multiple trips to the vet to get different antibiotics, an anti-emetic, then an appetite stimulant. When Charlie finally ate on his own late Friday night I layed on the floor next to his food dish and cried. The past few days he has been eating and drinking like a champ and is starting to get his energy back. He is sitting on my lap as I type this and he is almost 100% better - what a relief!

Last Tuesday morning Nate took Charlie to the Cottonwood Pet Hospital because he hadn't been eating or drinking for the past two days, he was acting super tired, and he threw up 5 times Monday night. After a blood test, x-ray, and ultrasound (and as Nate and I kissed our tax return goodbye) the vet determined he had an inflamed bile duct caused by gall bladder issues and an infection that was affecting his liver. They aren't sure if he just got a virus or if he licked antifreeze or some
other poison outside.
Because he had a fever and was dehydrated they kept him overnight to get an IV going and to monitor him. We were able to pick him up Wednesday night and I knew we still had a long road ahead of us when he still wouldn't eat on his own and would throw up every time we gave him his antibiotic. Not to mention that Fritz was totally freaked out by the way Charlie smelled and he would hiss and growl at him. The next two days were a blur of force feeding every two hours, cleaning up barf (after a week with a sick cat I have cleaned up enough cat vomit to last a lifetime) having to take multiple trips to the vet to get different antibiotics, an anti-emetic, then an appetite stimulant. When Charlie finally ate on his own late Friday night I layed on the floor next to his food dish and cried. The past few days he has been eating and drinking like a champ and is starting to get his energy back. He is sitting on my lap as I type this and he is almost 100% better - what a relief!
4 comments:
Oh, poor baby!!! How awful! I am so happy he is doing better. I know how much your heart aches when your boys are sick or hurt. Thank goodness he has such good parents to take care of him. Give him a love for me.
That is horrible! I am glad to hear after a week he is feeling better. Sounds like you got good practice at cleaning up vomit.... I just leave all that to Aaron.
Jess you are going to be a great mom-as I have been potty training Max I amaze myself at what I can do without being completely grossed out-and it sounds like you cats are helping you too! I hope he gets better!
Welcome to parenthood! It only gets better!
Post a Comment