Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bookworm



Here is what we have so far....any recommendations?
Was there a book you absolutely loved?
One that had great tips/advice on pregnancy, newborns, or parenting in general?
Please let me know!
(PS: Holly - I have really enjoyed your suggestions :)

Sidenote: A friend let me borrow the book above titled, "The Diaper Free Baby." I just started it and I am totally intrigued! The premise is that, "Like other mammals, human babies are born with the instinct not to soil themselves. It is not a natural or pleasant feeling for them to sit in their own waste; they are born aware of the sensation of going to the bathroom." The book is supposed to teach you how to read the signs from your newborn that he/she has to go (this is called Elimination Communication, EC), and with this technique most children become toilet independent at a very early age. She points out that EC is not a new phenomenon but is practiced is many countries. Many countries think we are odd for relying on diapers so much, and for so long. Anyway, I am curious to know how it works at night, how parents deal with what I imagine to be frequent messes, what do you do when you are out shopping, etc. Has anyone heard of this Diaper Free Movement?

5 comments:

Tasia said...

I would be interested to know how the early potty training stuff works. Also, LOVED Baby Laughs. Still makes me about pee my pants when I read parts of it. I loved a book called: Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. It helped a ton with my first baby she was a little colicy. I really enjoyed the philosophy behind the ideas.

Sycamore Girl said...

Glad to see your library so large. I love it when mama's read up! YOU are in charge of your experience (for the most part)...way to go for taking the bull by the horns.
Birthing from Within was my absolute favorite. There a lot of methods out there for birthing and raising children. The thing that is important to remember is just "empty your cup" and let things happen as they will- if your expectations become rigid in how you are preparing, you may be let down when things don't go exactly as they are planned in your head. Be open and willing to accept, no- LET GO OF, a lot of things. (control)
I've heard of diaper-less babies...I'd say get your baby here first and then move on to that stuff. You'll have enough to figure out...like breastfeeding. It can be tricky. Don't overload your plate.
Also, it would be helpful to read up on POSTPARTUM issues. Not necessarily depression, although that is part of it. But about the physical changes your body will undergo. I remember preparing SO much for the event of BIRTH that I felt like I was falling off a cliff when the baby finally arrived and I had nothing to stand on.
Read "After the baby's birth" by Robin Lim. Its a good one!

Sheesh. Sorry for the novel! Call me anytime. Only email me, cuz my number is different. girl.sycamore@gmail.com

The Naylor Family said...

Wow ... all we had was Dr. Spock when you were born! We certainly have come a long way! Remember to follow your instincts ... seldom do they steer you wrong!

The Newton's said...

The book that I found most imformative and helpful was What to Expect When You're Expecting. It covers your pregnancy week by week letting you know the changes your body and growing baby will make. It also clues you in about possible problems you could have. This is so helpful to reassure you because otherwise you might want to call your doc daily. A good book for Nate is Pregnancy Sucks For Men. Austin found it quite humorous, but also informative at the same time. You can have our copy if you want. And lastly, you should get What to Expect when you're expecting: The First Years. There are lots of books out there about parenting techniques, and diaperless babies and such, but I think that everyone should have this book first. It covers the basics. It was my bible for when I had twins. It went through every week of babies first year. It saved me countless calls to the doctor when my babies were sick or whatever. SO helpful for developmental milestones, health, breastfeeding, solids, stages, etc.

The Newton's said...

And about your diaperless baby idea... Very interesting idea and I wish you the best of luck. I think that the reason it works for other countries is because they live in a hut with a dirt floor, so covering it with pee and poo prob doesn't matter. But like most people in the U.S. we have carpet and fabric furniture so I don't know how that could possibly work. After having three kids I know how messy it can be even with a diaper. And it often comes without warning. If that is something you honestly want to try then I would wait until your baby is past the year mark. They are more predictable and easy to read. Or you could just buy tarps to lay all over your house.