Friday, August 10, 2012

Colorado Peeps Part 2

part two

My parents got a new tent trailer last year and they decided to drive it out so we could do some "camping."  They reserved an awesome spot at Soapstone Campground up Samak Canyon.  It was only about 20 minutes from my Grandma's house.  Mabel and I would come up to the campsite each day and then go back to my grandma's house for a bath and bedtime. My kind of camping!! :)

Cattle crossing on the way up the canyon!
I rolled Mabel's window down and they passed right by her - she was stunned!

~Setting up Camp~
The PERFECT spot right by the river.

Grandpa Kraig got Mabel a cute little camp chair!
She loved that it had a cupholder spot for her rocks.

Jacob and my mom decided to build a dam
(they called it a dang...ha. ha. ha.)
Here it is the first day:

The proud Dang builder with the finished product!
(I kept thinking about how it was messing with the river's ecosystem.)


While Nate and I were watching Jacob move huge rocks around Nate said,
"I can't think of a worse way to spend my vacation. Hauling huge rocks all day."
I agree! But Jacob loved it.
He also had to take Ibuprofen every night because his back was killing him.
 

Jacob consulting with the Dang engineer. Mumsie.


Happy Campers!

Mabel was in heaven playing with the mud and rocks.
This girl has a thing for rocks right now. 

She would get mud all over her hands and then
pretend like she was washing her hair.
So cute. So dirty.


...Relaxing...


I really wish squirrels wanted to be domesticated...look at those tiny little hands!
Who wouldn't love a pet squirrel?

Mabel really bonded with Uncle Jacob...
she would look for him and give him hugs and kisses.
(Grandma was pretty jealous that Jacob could get a
kiss from Mabel anytime he asked!)


Jacob took this picture of Mabel trying to kiss him through the camper screen.
 

Out on a walk with her BFF:


It was so nice being right by the water.
We spent a lot of time playing by the shore.

 

When I was a kid and we would go camping I loved pretending I was a Native American.
I would go to the river and get different colored rocks and grind them into pretend food.
(because that is what Native Americans do right?)
I would put them on different rocks or wrap them in leaves.
Gotta love the 10 year old brain.

I decided to make some to show Nate:


 Haven't lost my touch.

Nate went across the river to explore.

Kraig chillin' in a shady spot.

Here is the camper in all her glory!

It rained pretty hard the last afternoon and it was very convenient to
be able to go inside and stay dry, play games, and let Mabel run around.

Outdoor camp stove.  Kinda weird.

Changing diapers in the camper. Good times.

Mabel loves to pretend.
She would pretend the rocks were food and bring them to her mouth...
but sometimes she just couldn't resist putting one in.
My mom caught her RED HANDED!




Dirty Hands. Dirty Face.
I had to ignore the urge to wipe her down every 2 seconds.



On Saturday evening we had a big
dutch oven dinner with everyone that could come:


Grandpa was really happy to be out of the hospital and
out in the fresh mountain air.
 

My cousin Daniel's girlfriend Anna, their baby Jack,
and my Aunt Kristy:

Grandpa with two of his greats:
Mabel and Jack

Jacob and Kraig drove back Sunday and my Mom didn't leave until Wednesday morning.  She and my Aunt Koreen spent the day Monday making freezer meals for my grandparents. Then Tuesday she came swimming with me and Mabel.  
We had so much fun having the family around...MOVE BACK PLEASE!


See ya soon!

4 comments:

OLIVERSONFAM said...

LOVE your Native American dishes! Looks DELISH! :)
Than DANG is a HUGE DANG!!
CAMPING looks FUN!

The Naylor Family said...

I LOVE that post!!! I just had a great idea? I could pay you to be my personal blogger!!! Such great pictures of our fun times in Utah! I want to move back right now so I could see my Mabel every week!!!

Allison said...

What a fun vacation! I love camping and Soapstone is one of my favorite places. I personally think the Native American food is genius! Mabel is getting so big!!

Walter Family said...

That looks so fun!! I laughed seeing your pic of the squirrel cause I just posted about those...my kids would LOVE to have one as a pet! :)