Tuesday, March 25, 2014

~God Be With You Till We Meet Again~


My grandpa Naylor passed away last month on Wednesday, February 26th.
After a major heart attack about 6 years ago his health had been steadily
declining.  I know he is so happy to be free of that old body that couldn't see or hear very well, couldn't move around much, and was basically preventing his YOUNG soul from doing great things! I am sure the reunion he had in heaven
with his parents, family and old friends was a magnificent one! 
Grandpa was such a fun loving, charismatic, spiritual, intelligent,
and caring person.  He LOVED to talk and was always so interested in hearing
about what was happening our lives. He and my grandmother were married
for 63 years! My grandmother was the best nurse, friend, caregiver,
and wife to Grandpa - especially over these last few years....
we love her so much!

I collected photos from family members and Nate put together
a slideshow to play at the funeral - it turned out great and I thought I would
post some of the pictures of Grandpa's life through the years:


Because ya know, shooting a gun with
your shirt off looks so much cooler!



Grandma couldn't resist this looker!
So handsome and I love his bowtie.

My grandparents got married when she was 16 and he was 24,
can you believe that? Look at those cute lovebirds.
 

They moved from California to Kamas in 1994...

They loved Nate from day one and were so happy
that we got married!

Grandpa sportin' his new sleeve:



Best dressed couple don't you think?
We had a blast with Grandma and Grandpa
on our Hawaiian cruise.




When we brought Mabel home Grandma and Grandpa
came over to see her.  Grandpa couldn't walk up
the tall flight of stairs to our condo so we brought
Mabel down to him. 


Mabel is great grandchild #9 and loves playing up in Kamas.
(although she has never been a big fan of the drive...but she
has gotten soooooooo much better!)

Grandpa was a card shark and taught all of
his grandkids to play rummy.  Even though the last few
years he had a hard time seeing the cards he still loved
to play.  Whenever we would go to Kamas Grandpa
and I would take advantage of Mabel's naptime
and play a hand or two. 
(Which he would usually win!)





Mabel and I would try to stop and visit Grandma 
and Grandpa once a month at the dialysis center in 
Murray.  Grandpa had to go 3 times a week.



Getting his nails "painted" by Mabel:

I love this picture from last summer:

This is the last picture I have of me and Grandpa taken
a few months before he passed away.

-The Funeral-
Our entire family was able to make it for the funeral.
It was wonderful and crazy to have everyone together!
We were able to get some family photos taken:

Grandma and her three kids:
Koreen, the oldest is on the right, then 
Kristy the middle child on the left, and 
Kraig (my step-dad) in the middle.





Nate said some beautiful words at the grave dedication:

Mabel had a lot of questions...she eventually said that
Grandpa gets to have a long sleep in his treasure box. :)


My cousins Nick and Anthony were in their military uniforms
and gave Grandpa one final salute.




I have never been on the receiving end of food donated
by ward members for a funeral. It was such a blessing to be able to
come back to the church and have a warm meal that we didn't
have to prepare.  

Thank you so much to these sweet ladies who helped to
coordinate and plan the luncheon, it was much appreciated!

We love you Grandpa!

3 comments:

OLIVERSONFAM said...

LOVE all these Pictures! Grandpa WAS a Looker!...I would have married him at 16 too! (although that is CRAZY...That is SO YOUNG!!)
Glad you all had a great experience...and I am glad it worked out that your Mom was in town at the most PERFECT time!
I love that he gets to nap in a Treasure Box!

Emily said...

He was a BABE!! ;) He sounds like a wonderful man! It's never easy to lose a grandparent...so glad you could all be together and celebrate his life. :)

The Naylor Family said...

That was such a great tribute to Grandpa! He was a remarkable, generous, loving man .... the best father-in-law anyone could ask for and I love that he always called me his favorite daughter-in-law because I was his only one. We will all miss him dearly!!!