The downtown farmer's market started Saturday and will run each Saturday from 8:00am-1:00pm until October. Exciting!
KUER had a pretty good segment on Radio West the other day regarding independent farmers in Utah. They had several local farmers on the show and also the owner of Liberty Heights Fresh, a great little produce stop right up the road from my house. The owner, Steven Rosenberg, made a valid comment...
"Many people don't think about the consequences of their economic transactions. People will follow low prices all the way off a cliff."
True dat! I know, I know, you may have to fork over several extra dollars for some of the fruits and veges at the farmer's market but you will get the satisfaction of knowing they are fresh, tasty, and most likely organic. Sometimes I overwhelm myself thinking about buying only organic, local, made in USA, biodegradable, phosphate free, green, clean, etc......and before you know it my head has popped off!! (OCD contributes to that) So if you ever begin to feel like nothing you do makes a difference so why not buy everything at Super Wal-Mart, take the advice I often tell myself: Start small--little changes here and there are great!
Several of the guests on the show were talking about how we have forgotton what fresh food tastes like, and we also don't even know how to cook it. I found a link to a great idea called the Slow Food Movement. Here is a quote from their site,
"Living the slow life with food as the focus is as rewarding as it is easy, and it can be done daily by each one of us. Ultimately, it is about pleasure and taste, knowledge and choice. Once we begin to take an interest in the enjoyment of food, and in finding out where our food comes from, we can begin to see the effects of these choices. When we shorten the distance—both literal and figurative—that our food travels to get to us, we are participating in the Slow Food movement. Slow Food is about coming together as a food community—connecting producers and co-producers, coming together on the farm, in the market, and at the table—to create and enjoy food that is good, clean and fair.
Slow Food is also simply about taking the time to slow down and to enjoy life with family and friends. Every day can be enriched by doing something slow - making pasta from scratch one night, seductively squeezing your own orange juice from the fresh fruit, lingering over a glass of wine and a slice of cheese - even deciding to eat lunch sitting down instead of standing up. For example, here in the Slow Food USA office, we take a moment to eat lunch together every day."
Cool huh?
Below are some tasty little radishes from our garden.
5 comments:
Okay, when we were in Philly I remember you staring into my grocery cart that held doritos, soda and chocolate and shaking your head. I remember you teaching me about cage free, organic eggs (which I still buy) and having our yummy organic soups for lunch.
I have turned over a new leaf and my first awareness of fresh, organic, local, food came from you! I am really getting into it and try my best to include organic foods into my cooking.
I have a whole new outlook on it since having a baby and trying to eat healthy in order to feed her. I truly admire you for your awareness and you inspire me to be more green. The Millers are changing! So with this novel, I would love to invite myself to go to the farmers market with you!
I don't like radishes, but i gotta tell ya, those look good! It always tastes better when it comes from your own garden! I can appreciate the organic goods...but i can also appreciate the big gulps and pizza bombs from Craigos!
Oh those heavenly pizza bombs! I think I may need to post those pics of us...: )
"BUT I DONT HAVE TIME TO EAT 'SLOW FOOD'"
This is probably most peoples' problem when it comes to doing things like this- we are all SO stinkin' busy that was go for convenience rather than economy or greeness. But I'll tell you- the Martineaus are working on it.
You know the Simon and Garfunkel song:
"Slow down, you move too fast, you got to make the mornin' last
just kickin down the cobble stones, lookin for fun and feelin groovy."
I sing this to myself when I am feeling frantic and crazy in my head. Slowing down in my head helps me so many other facets of my life, including how I eat.
will you come cook for us. We eat way too much taco bell. Let's go to the farmers market together.
Post a Comment