Thursday, November 20, 2008

Today There Are No Stairs


A classmate in my social diversity class handed this to me yesterday. I'm getting ready to go to class right now so I am going to try to get from my parking spot to my building without using any stairs---it's pretty much all uphill so it should be a challenge. I will let you know how it goes. You can check out the blog here.

2 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

Wow -- how did your day go without stairs? You wouldn't be able to get out of your condo, in the first place! Isn't your campus pretty handicap friendly?

The Tews said...

Mom: The challenge was just to navigate around campus--but that's true there is no way to get in/out of my house without using stairs!

No-Stairs UPDATE:

So I ended up carpooling to class with a friend, Molly, and since we knew about the challenge we kind of cheated by having her husband drop us off above our building instead of below where I usually park. Not only is Molly super preggo but we were running late because we had been videotaping a mock social worker interview for one of her classes.(I was her client)
We had to take a few little detours to find some ramps but overall it wasn't too bad. But like I said, I didn't go my normal route. I'll have to try again another day.

Anyway, the whole no stairs experience made me very aware of my legs and how greatful I am that I have them, and that they work. These are the kind of experiences that take you out of your bubble and make you think about what challenges other people experience in life. Isn't social work great?