Monday, March 9, 2009

Don't Judge Too Quickly

In one of my classes last week we had a guest presenter who works for the Division of Child and Family Services. She is a CPS worker (Child Protective Services) and she shared several fascinating yet heartbreaking stories about her experiences at DCFS. She was very professional yet approachable, and seemed to be an awesome social worker. (I was inspired) At the end of her presentation she showed us a few videos that did a hilarious job of illustrating the fact that you can't always judge a situation on how it appears. In most of my classes we are constantly deconstructing our assumptions, biases, and any other prejudices that could effect the way we impact a client. I thought these videos were clever!




3 comments:

Tasia said...

Jessica, I just found your blog. Your Friday Flashblack cracks me up. I am sure some people would be mortified to see those pictures, I LOVE IT!! Hope you and Nate are doing well. Our blog is private but if you want to shoot me an email I can add you to the list. ...Tasia (Woolstenhulme) email: tasia_w at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Like the new layout. The videos were funny. I think sometimes its to easy to pass judgement quickly. Thats something everyone can work at. Where did you find you layout, if you feel like sharing?

TwoThompsons said...

The revamp is great. The videos are priceless. So easy to fall into making judgments that usually turn out wrong. Did you see the foreign one with the guy milking the cow? LOVED the dog one you sent me...shared it with my girlfriends. love ya. Auntie C