Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tracy Aviary

{3.15.13}

Last week Mabel and I headed to Salt Lake to visit with our friend Corrine.  
It was such a beautiful day so we decided to go walk around Tracy Aviary. 



This peacock was really strutting his stuff for the lady peahens!
(there were 3 peahens walking around too...and yes, they are really called peahens)
He would open his feathers and do this little shimmy while turning around...
it was quite a show!  
The peahens weren't impressed but 
Mabel, Corrine, and I thought it was the coolest thing!



So pretty! 


We got there early and got the last 3 spots available to feed the Sun Conures.  
It costs $3/per person and you get to go into their cage 
and feed them a little dish of blueberries.
They are super friendly! Mabel thought it was pretty funny 
that one landed on my head!


They loved Corrine!

Mabel was a little nervous at first
(they start chirping really loud because they know food is coming!) 
but she was so curious and kept getting closer and closer.



I decided to let her hold the cup so I could try to take a video of her.  
The second I handed her the cup a bird landed on her arm 
and it totally freaked her out! 
She has been talking about it ever since. This is how it goes: 

Mabel: Tweet Tweet Tweet!

Me: You remember when we when to see the birds?

Mabel: {Points to her arm.}

Me: A bird landed right on your arm didn't it?

Mabel: {Makes a little fake cry sound.}

Me: Yeah, you cried a little because it was kind of scary at first 
when the bird landed on you.

Mabel: Yeah.

Me: But then what did it feel like?

Mabel: Tick Tick Tick {and tickles herself}

Me: That's right, it tickled your arm when the bird landed on you!

Hopefully she isn't totally scarred for life! 
(and I didn't get a chance to get any video!)

 She also loved looking at the flamingos, the bald eagle, the HUGE condor, and the toucans. It was a lot of fun. Quite a bit of the Aviary is under construction right now so we are excited to go again when the new exhibits are all finished. 

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

That peacock is beautiful! And I love the story about Mabel freaking out and remembering it. So cute!

The Naylor Family said...

I love the pictures of the peacock! Such a strange creature. It's so fun how curious Mabel is and I LOVE when she tries to retell stories. Oh how I love that girl.

The Dabo's said...

I always just think of Jocelyn's kids. They were named after the Tracy Aviary. Trace, Avi, Emri.

Ashlee said...

How fun! I totally forgot about the Tracy Aviary! Mabel is so darling!

Cristi Benedict said...

Next time you go, we want to come with you!!! Seriously it looks like a blast!

A New Life Student said...

I love Tracy Aviary! Mabel is so cute and I loved her version of the story. I sure miss you. Wish we lived closer so we could do things like this together.