Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Farm fresh turkey goes traveling....

Last year's turkey was so tasty we decided to order another one from
Wights Family Farm in Ogden.  We cooked it about half way through
at our house and then took it on the road up to Kamas to finish cooking
there to spend Thanksgiving day with my grandparents, Aunt Kristy, 
and a few of my cousins.

Mabel and her 2nd cousin? Jack are only about a month apart
and they had so much fun playing together

Mabel likes to do "exercises" and she would ask us to name 
an exercise  (jumping, somersaults, etc) and then she 
and Jack would do it over and over again! 
It's crazy how much energy they have.

Somersaults...

This was the point where I was tired of thinking of 
exercises and told them they had to practice being still.
They did pretty good for a few minutes.

 I didn't even get ONE picture of our feast and my 
glorious turkey! Everyone contributed tasty sides
and I had waaaaay more than my share of my Aunt 
Kristy's creamed corn. So good.

This is what our food coma looked like:


Nate was so full he had to sit in 
Grandpa's wheelchair and be pushed
around the house. 

So this picture is kinda gross looking but I was 
so proud of myself for making turkey stock from  
the leftover bones/carcass. (kinda makes me gag saying carcass)
I had stuffed the turkey with onion, garlic, and lots of fresh
herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary, and parsley) and it made the 
stock so tasty. I added a few carrots and let it simmer all day.
So easy. Why haven't I done it before?
Nate picked the meat off the bones and we strained it
several times and it was done!


It made A LOT. The only bummer thing
about putting it into this container is every time 
I opened the fridge I would almost grab this thinking it 
was some kind of tasty juice.

I used the stock as my base to make turkey soup 
and we lived off of that for a few days with some 
artisan bread from Harmons.

1 comment:

The Naylor Family said...

Mabel and Jack are really cute together ... bummer that you didn't get a picture of the turkey or the feast! Looks like a fun day!