Monday, June 30, 2008

Girl's Camp 2008

What an adventure! All of our girls had the opportunity to go on the overnight backpacking hike as part of their fourth year camp certification. It was my first time backpacking and I really enjoyed it! There is something very satisfying about setting up camp with only the items you can carry on your back. (Plus I have a greater understanding of what a pack mule must feel like.) We hiked to a lovely picturesque meadow and set up camp right next to a little stream. It was beautiful! I was a tinch paranoid about bears but after our food was safe up in a tree I felt a lot better and my face stopped twitching.
After the overnight trip we hiked out of the canyon and drove to our church property where we would spend the rest of the week. We had to set up camp all over again and by the end of the day I was ready to throw some cucumber slices over my eyes and call it quits. Camping is hard work! I was so grateful that the girls had such good attitudes and were so happy and helpful. We had zero drama this year and it was awesome!
The biffy (bathroom in the forest for you) was a hike away so we did a lot of pop, lock, and squat it-- and boy was I happy to come home to a flushing toilet. I give my overall camping experience a 9.5---I had to subtract .5 points when our deluxe queen size air mattress snagged on a tree stump and popped so we were forced to trade off using a inflatable pool raft to sleep on. Good times.

3 comments:

Brad and Rebecca said...

Glad you're home safe and sound!!! Can we hang out now??? How about coming with us to seven peaks friday?! We rented a cabana!!!

A New Life Student said...

Glad you weren't chewed up and spit out by a bear. It really does sound like you had fun. I still can't get over the shopping story. I have been laughing about it since you told me.
Don't kill me but we just switched our cable company and the recored Oprah is a goner! So sorry! Maybe you can look it up on line.

the Ernest's said...

Whew! You made it through another year! Did you have a delicious turkey dinner topped with chocolate and whipped topping at the final meal? :) Even though I "missed" out this year, I was far from an easy week (taking care of 4 extra kids is no cakewalk). I think we'll just stick with our little Taylor for the time being. Love ya! Now, seriously, let's get together!