Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Good Night's Sleep



Well, it is finished. After months of preparation I have completed my application for the social work program at the University of Utah. The application consists of a resume outlining a description of volunteer and/or work relating to social work (with total number of hours at each agency), a 3-5 page typed personal statement that answers the following questions: 1) Respond to the statement, "People get what they deserve in life.", 2) Discuss your reasons for choosing a BSW? 3) What volunteer, work, or life experience helped you prepare for a career in social work, and 4) What do you consider your personal strengths, needs for growth, and limitations in relation to working with people whose gender, culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation may differ from your own? Then two reference letters that have to be mailed directly from the reference to the school and signed with blood.
.
Why, you ask did this take months to prepare for? Well, I had to get a new job and pretty much shake up my whole world. I hope making a difference in people's lives is worth it. (It's a shame sarcasm doesn't seem as satisfying when you type it)
.
Can I just say that after many nights of waking up with a kink in my neck thinking about this darn application it feels so good to finally have it out of my hands. Well, almost. I turn it in tomorrow and then they make sure they have received all the transcripts and reference letters and then I'm not sure how long it takes for them to notify you if you get into the program.
.
Keep your fingers crossed for me! Or throw salt over your shoulder, or vote for Obama--whatever you think will help.

4 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

Yippeee -- it's done!!! I'm POSITIVE you'll get in. Of all the people on this planet ... you were born for that job!! I will keep my fingers crossed, my eyes are already kind of crossed and am feeling an ever-so-slight pull towards Obama but still don't know. So hopefully all of the above will help!!

Brad and Rebecca said...

alright! you'll have to let me know when you find out!!!!

A New Life Student said...

I agree with your mother, you were born to do this job and I am sure you will get in! I am sure it is a relief to have it out of your hands. What are you going to do about your job? Have you quit already?
I will be crossing, throwing and voting.

TwoThompsons said...

Awesome! You're going to do great. The world needs fresh people like you who WANT to help instead of stale people who hate their work and take it out on the people they're supposed to be helping! You WILL make a difference in lives. Look at your mother's comment...she might vote Obama! ;)