Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cateye Collection

For Christmas I got some more magazines from my supplier in Michigan (thanks dad!) and I have been working on some cards to freshen up my supply at Frosty Darling. Here is a sampling of the new inventory:

One of the dangers of having things on consignment at Frosty Darling is the fact that the store is always brimming with all sorts of fabulous funky nick knacks, handmade treasures, awesome old fashioned candy, and a vintage record player that soothes me with its scratchy tunes. When I dropped off my cards Thursday I knew I was in trouble because Gentry, the owner, had just filled up the candy jars with new sweet treats from an order that had just come in. Here is what I came home with:

So I realized that I collect cards. Something inside me just can't pass up a funky local made card. I need to think of a cool way to display the ones I have so far. (about 20) The above pictured Lima? bean in its whitey tighties and the dancing state fair foods are the newest additions to the collection. I also can't pass up the chance to try some candies that I have never before tasted. Nate and I had the Pop Rocks chocolate bar tonight and it was surprisingly good! Decent chocolate and then pop pop pop! I haven't had the Ice Cubes yet.

Now about the Sen Sen. I guess people used to eat Sen Sen breath fresheners to hide smoker's and/or alcohol breath. I don't know how they managed to tolerate this stuff because holy awfulness! If you want to know what they taste like go grab a bottle of your grandma's old perfume and spray several squirts in your mouth and then go lick your bar of Dove soap! ICK!! I only put two little tablets in my mouth and I immediately started gagging. I had to go brush my teeth and use Listerine to get rid of the taste. Unfortunately after watching me Nate could not be coaxed into trying the Sen Sen.

3 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

Is the candy old? Could that be why it tastes so bad? I thought of you yesterday at Church ... decided to wear a dress instead of the fashionable skirts and tops that everyone wears. One of the young women in my group said, "Wow, great vintage dress." Is that a compliment? Didn't seem like one to someone who will be 50 this year -- don't want to do anything vintage!!!

TwoThompsons said...

I LOVE those cards! Do they say anything on the inside? Cracked me up with the sen-sen. Never heard of it before...but maybe your mom is right! Want to come sometime, maybe with Aja & Nana and go to all those funky little places with you. I love all that stuff! We'll have to plan...

Sycamore Girl said...

Oh man. My ole' Gramps was a Sen Sen eater. I have actually acquired a taste for them- I know, they are disgusting! Seriously, who thought those things up?