2.
3. 
1. What was the war on poverty? Who was credited for it's inception? What five things did it set out to accomplish?
2. Describe the details of the settlement house movement and name the 6 fundamental characteristics associated with it.
3. Describe in depth the Social Security Act of 1935 and the 8 programs it created.
Here is a little nibble from my Social Welfare final tonight. Now add about 25 multiple choice questions, 5 short answers, and 2 one page essays and you have yourself a headache. Needless to say this was my favorite class this semester, with American Government taking second, Statistics taking the bronze, and Social Work as a Profession getting whatever comes after bronze.
The professor for this class is what I hope to be as a social worker somday: part clinical, mostly activist, and very dedicated to social welfare. She actually engages her students to think critically and will wait silently (it's painful sometimes) until you babble out a answer. She is a politics junky and it has started to wear off on me. I am hooked on NPR in the morning (gotta love Diane Rehm) and Nate and I have had several intense debates on immigration, poverty, capitalism, and institutional racism. (who wants to come to dinner at the tew house? yikes!)
Anyway, she is teaching an 'Effects of Child Abuse and Neglect' class in the fall that I am really excited about. This is how all teachers should make you feel right? If you are a teacher and your students don't feel like they can change the world when your class is over either your teaching college algebra or you're doing something wrong.
Peeps in the pictures--thought I would throw this in since I had no idea who these people were until this class. Darned South Summit Education.
1. Lyndon B. Johnson
2. Jane Addams
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
2 comments:
I love that you have found the perfect major. Doesn't it give school a whole new meaning? That's how I felt when I was studying Anthropology. Your class sounds amazing and I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the Tew's political discussions.
Just got home from Portwood's wedding. It was really pretty but poor little Julia was too cold. Turns out it was a winter wonderland wedding clear up the canyon. I will give you details later.
This is the funniest thing you have ever written!!! Sorry about the South Summit Education -- I'll come for dinner ANYTIME even though I would have no clue what either of you were talking about. Darn all that pot smoking at Marina High School!!!!!
Post a Comment