Last Sunday Nate and I went to check out Salt Lake's Gilgal Gardens. It's nestled between several quaint little houses and I would have never known it existed if a friend hadn't mentioned it to me. I'll get straight to the point: I was fascinated the moment I walked in. Here's a little history-- The historic sculpture garden was created by Thomas B Child, Jr (1888-1963) to give physical form to his deep-felt beliefs. (that sentence was straight off the visitor's pamphlet!)
So you walk in and there are around a dozen interesting sculptures (mostly revolving around LDS beliefs) and over 70 stones engraved with scriptures, poems, and philosophical texts. What is amazing is that this guy was 57 years old when he started creating this garden!
The Joseph Smith Sphinx and Four Stone Books Representing LDS Scriptures.
I was tired just thinking about the time it must have took to engrave so many words into so many stones.
We sat down on the rock "patio" next to the Captain of the Lord's Host sculpture. In the pamphlet it said that this little stone patio was Child's favorite place for mediation. In my mind's eye I pictured Thomas Child sitting in the exact spot I was on a Sunday afternoon thinking about life and what is really important. It was one of those perfect peaceful moments of clarity for me. "Child shared Gilgal Garden with thousands of visitors during his lifetime. He hoped the garden would inspire viewers to ponder 'the unsolved mysteries of life' and struggle to find their own answers."
Me standing under the White Quartz Keystone
engraved with A and O--Alpha and Omega.
King Nebuchadnezzar's Dream
Flower Power
Nate's Feet Next to a Quote Slab
2 comments:
I wish that San Bernardino had cool things like this....lately I feel like Max and I are trapped in the house here because it is so hot, and just a tiny bit ghetto!
Thanks for sharing! Chris and I are totally going!
Post a Comment