Friday, August 29, 2008

Charlie's Adventure



Last night we couldn't find Charlie anywhere. They boys are usually outside most of the night during the summer but before we go to bed I like to call them to the door so I can see both of them and so I know they are together and alive. We called and called and Nate walked around the block with the clicker. The problem with Charlie is that he doesn't really have a typical meow--it's a strange crackling noise-- and when he does actually produce a meow it sounds like a tiny kitten. Last night the crickets were in full force and I knew it would be very hard to hear Charlie meowing if he was stuck somewhere. I was just hoping he was out frolicking and lost track of time.

We went to bed and I was thinking of all the worst case scenarios and didn't sleep very well. I got up several times (so did Nate) and went outside and called and called. Nothing. I kept getting the feeling to go into out neighbors yard--but being as it was 2:00 am I figured I should wait until morning to sneak around their house and go snooping. (they are the ones with all the sheds)

So finally at 7:00 this morning I got dressed walked around the block once to see if Charlie was out and about and then I got on one of our chairs so I could peer over the fence and look into the neighbor's yard. I looked over and called Charlie's name several times-----and then I heard it! The tiniest little meow! I called, and heard it again! Charlie was stuck inside one of their sheds! I took off in a sprint to go around the block so I could get into their yard.

Once I was near the sheds I kept hearing him meow and realized that one of the sheds wasn't locked. I opened it up and he came running out! My baby! When the shed was open yesterday he probably climbed in to explore and then hid when someone came in (because he is still so shy) and then they closed it up not knowing he was there.

I hugged him and snuggled him like he was the prodigal son--which was a little difficult because he was filthy and smelled like he had been laying under a lawnmower all night. I am so glad he is okay and safe and seems relatively unscathed. (he is sitting on my lap purring like crazy right now)

2 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

You are so lucky that he didn't end up as a Fox snack like my beloved Zoe!!! I hate when you have to worry so much about them all night -- give him a little snuggle from me!!! I'll have to send him a special treat -- it's been a while since they have receive a package from Grandma!

A New Life Student said...

Oh thank goodness! You are such a good mother, searching and searching for him. I am so glad he helped himself to a little grasshopper snack after the tragic incident! I am so glad I was on the phone to hear all the commotion.