Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Conference Center Tour








Last night for our Young Women's activity we took a guided tour of the LDS Conference Center. I have been inside several times for meetings (only to the first floor) but haven't ever had the time to take a tour to see the artwork, the roof, and to hear the inside scoop from a tour guide. They give free tours Mon-Sun 9am-9pm to anyone who would like to check it out.
The Conference Center is an amazing piece of architecture that seats 21,000, houses a massive organ, and faces the Salt Lake City Temple. I learned that it is 7 times the size of the Metropolitan Opera House in NYC! The artwork inside was wonderful (no copies, all paintings are the originals)--I felt like I was at a mini museum. We got to the roof just as the sun was setting and it was gorgeous. The girls really enjoyed themselves and of course we had to cruise State Street on the way home.

2 comments:

The Naylor Family said...

I miss being in SLC in the hub of all the church activity. There seems to always be something going on. My Young Women would love to go to the conference center on a tour ... some of them have never seen it.

Laura said...

Ahhhh state street.....