
Health care is the one of the issues that more often then not becomes a heated debate when Nate and I discuss the world, politics, and social work. I take a more socialist stand on the topic, and Nate feels that the government should stay out of it in order to maintain quality, competition, and innovation. Today on KUER Doug Fabrizio interviewed Washington Post reporter T.R. Reid to talk about his investigation, "Sick around the World."
T.R. Reid traveled to the UK, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, and Switzerland to investigate health care and the pros and cons of how 5 other capitalist democracies handle it. I thought it was very informative and pretty unbiased.
I was amazed that in Great Britain doctors get a bonus for keeping their patients healthy! Reid says because of this they have become a world leader in preventative medicine. But he also says, "There is probably too much government here for American taste." I liked a lot of Germany's ideas, for example pregnant women don't have to pay anything.
P.S. I like how at the doctor's office in Japan you put your money on a little tray and you get your change back on a little tray too. I love details.
1 comment:
I love this post. You know I automatically have taken the socialized medicine approach but a friend of mine suddenly opened my eyes to a few down falls to the system. I then realized I don't know much about it so I am excited to watch the program and learn.
Post a Comment